Skip to main content

Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the alleged mastermind behind Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl's kidnap-slaying, appears at the court in Karachi, Pakistan, in 2002.ZIA MAZHAR/The Associated Press

A provincial court in Pakistan on Thursday ordered the release of a British-born Pakistani man charged in the 2002 murder of American journalist Daniel Pearl.

The Sindh High Court’s release order overturns government detention orders that Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the key suspect in Mr. Pearl’s slaying, should remain in custody. Mr. Sheikh was acquitted earlier this year of murdering Mr. Pearl, but has been held while Pearl’s family appeals the acquittal.

“The detention order is struck down,” said Faisal Siddiqi, the family’s lawyer. He said Mr. Sheikh would be freed until the appeal is completed, but would return to prison if the family is successful in overturning the acquittal.

However, Mr. Siddiqi said the Sindh provincial government is appealing the order to release Mr. Sheikh.

Mr. Sheikh’s lawyer Mehmood A. Sheikh, with whom he is not related, called for his client’s immediate release.

The court order, a copy of which was obtained by the Associated Press, said the provincial government’s detention orders were illegal and that neither the provincial nor the federal government had cause to keep Sheikh or three others, also charged in Mr. Pearl’s murder, behind bars.

Mr. Sheikh was sentenced to death and the others to life in prison for their role in the plot. But in April, the Sindh High Court acquitted them, a move that stunned the U.S. government, Mr. Pearl’s family and journalism advocacy groups.

The acquittal is now being appealed separately by both the Pakistani government and Mr. Pearl’s family. The government has opposed Mr. Sheikh’s release, saying it would endanger the public. The Supreme Court will resume its hearing on Jan. 5.

Mr. Siddiqi, the Pearl family lawyer, said he expects the appeal to be decided by the Supreme Court by the end of January.

Mr. Sheikh was convicted of helping lure Mr. Pearl to a meeting in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi, in which he was kidnapped. Mr. Pearl had been investigating the link between Pakistani militants and Richard C. Reid, dubbed the “Shoe Bomber” after trying to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami with explosives hidden in his shoes.

A gruesome video of Mr. Pearl’s beheading was sent to the U.S. consulate. The 38-year-old Wall Street Journal reporter from Encino, Calif., was abducted Jan. 23, 2002.

In Mr. Sheikh’s original trial, e-mails between Mr. Sheikh and Mr. Pearl presented in court showed Mr. Sheikh gained Mr. Pearl’s confidence sharing their experiences as both waited for the birth of their first child. Mr. Pearl’s wife Marianne Pearl gave birth to a son, Adam, in May, 2002.

Evidence entered into court accused Mr. Sheikh of luring Mr. Pearl to his death, giving the American journalist a false sense of security as he promised to introduce him to a cleric with militant links.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.