Skip to main content

World Turkish minister says Saudi team must have been acting on orders in Khashoggi case

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu attends a news conference on Nov. 6, 2018, in Tokyo.

Eugene Hoshiko/The Associated Press

A 15-man Saudi team that flew to Turkey before the killing of Jamal Khashoggi must have been acting on orders, Turkey’s Foreign Minister said, although he reiterated Ankara’s position that the directions had not come from King Salman.

Speaking to reporters in Tokyo, Mevlut Cavusoglu added that it was Saudi Arabia’s responsibility to tell Turkey what happened to Mr. Khashoggi’s body, according to Anadolu news agency.

Mr. Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist critical of the Saudi government and its de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, disappeared at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

Story continues below advertisement

Saudi officials initially insisted Mr. Khashoggi had left the consulate, then said he died in an unplanned “rogue operation.” The kingdom’s public prosecutor Saud al-Mojeb later said he was killed in a premeditated attack.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has repeatedly demanded more information from Saudi Arabia, has also asked Saudi officials to say who in Riyadh sent a 15-strong team which is suspected of involvement in the killing.

“This 15-man team did not come to Turkey on their own, they came on orders. Without due orders and permissions, 15 people cannot come from Saudi Arabia to kill their own citizen,” Mr. Cavusoglu said.

Mr. Cavusoglu said Mr. Erdogan had spoken to Saudi Arabia’s King Salman twice after the killing, and that he was sure the king would not give orders to kill someone.

Turkish and Saudi officials have carried out joint inspections of the consulate and consul’s residence, but Mr. Erdogan says some Saudi officials are still trying to cover up the crime. Ankara has also demanded Riyadh co-operate in finding Mr. Khashoggi’s body, which Istanbul’s chief prosecutor said had been dismembered.

“I think it is Saudi Arabia’s responsibility to find out what happened to Khashoggi’s body and inform us about it, as the 15-man team are still in Saudi Arabia,” Mr. Cavusoglu said.

Saudi Arabia has so far detained 18 people and dismissed five senior government officials as part of an investigation into Mr. Khashoggi’s death.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter