Skip to main content

World U.S.-led coalition underestimated civilian deaths in Raqqa, monitoring groups say

Destroyed buildings line a street in Raqqa, Syria. The UN estimates that more than 10,000 buildings were destroyed or 80 per cent of the city.

The Associated Press

The U.S.-led coalition killed more than 1,600 civilians in the north Syrian city of Raqqa during months of bombardment that liberated it from the Islamic State group, hundreds more than the number the U.S.-led coalition claims over the entire four-year campaign, Amnesty International and a London-based watchdog group said Thursday.

Amnesty and Airwars said the toll came after the “most comprehensive investigation into civilian deaths in a modern conflict.”

The U.S.-led coalition said last month that 1,257 civilians were killed in airstrikes against the Islamic State over four years in Syria and Iraq.

Story continues below advertisement

“We continue to employ thorough and deliberate targeting and strike processes to minimize the impact of our operations on civilian populations and infrastructure,” the coalition said.

Raqqa was the de facto capital of IS’s self-declared caliphate, which once encompassed a third of Syria and Iraq. Last month, IS lost the last area it controlled in eastern Syria marking the end of the so-called caliphate.

U.S.-backed Syrian fighters captured Raqqa in October, 2017, after a four-month campaign.

The UN estimates that more than 10,000 buildings were destroyed or 80 per cent of the city.

“Coalition forces razed Raqqa, but they cannot erase the truth. Amnesty International and Airwars call upon the Coalition forces to end their denial about the shocking scale of civilian deaths and destruction caused by their offensive in Raqqa,” the two groups said in a joint statement.

In June last year, an Amnesty International report said hundreds of civilians were killed in Raqqa, while the Airwars said it has evidence of 1,400 fatalities.

The statement said Amnesty International’s innovative “Strike Trackers” project also identified when each of the more than 11,000 destroyed buildings in Raqqa was hit. More than 3,000 digital activists in 124 countries took part, analyzing a total of more than two million satellite image frames, it said.

Story continues below advertisement

“The Coalition needs to fully investigate what went wrong at Raqqa and learn from those lessons, to prevent inflicting such tremendous suffering on civilians caught in future military operations,” said Chris Woods, director of Airwars.

Separately, Syrian Minister of Transportation Ali Hammoud said his country will sign a contract with a Russian company to run and expand the port of Tartous on the Mediterranean.

Mr. Hammoud said in remarks published by the pro-government al-Watan daily Thursday that Russia’s Stroytransgaz will run the port for 49 years. The minister added that a Russian company would expand the port and pump more than US$500-million in this project, pointing that it has been agreed with the company to keep all Syrian workers in the port.

Russia has been a main backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government and Moscow tipped the balance of power in favour of government forces after joining Syria’s war in 2015.

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov met with Mr. al-Assad in Damascus over the weekend and said in comments carried by Russian news agencies that he was expecting the contract to be signed this week.

Mr. Borisov said the Russian lease of the port would boost bilateral trade and benefit the Syrian economy.

Story continues below advertisement

Stroytransgaz is controlled by Russian President Vladimir Putin’s childhood friend Gennady Timchenko. The Tartous port would be an important asset for the company, which landed a contract for 30 per cent of the output in a major phosphate field near Palmyra last year and signed a deal with a government-owned chemical company to rebuild Syria’s only fertilizer plant in the central province of Homs.

Unlike many major Russian companies, private or state-owned, Stroytransgaz is not wary of international sanctions against the Syrian government since Mr. Timchenko himself and his businesses including Stroytransgaz were slapped with U.S. sanctions in 2014 following Russia’s annexation of Crimea.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter