Here are five things to watch for tonight:
- When each candidate has two minutes to respond, the candidate not speaking will have his microphone turned off
- Debate moderator, NBC White House correspondent Kristen Welker
- Debate topics: The pandemic, families, race, climate change, national security and leadership
- Talk around white supremacy and conspiracy theories
- Message delivery: Expect the vice president to ignore Trump while delivering his soundbites straight into the camera
The Commission on Presidential Debates has made some changes to the format in a bid to better control both candidates, particularly Mr. Trump. But it’s an open question whether they will work.
Opinion polls show there are relatively few voters who have yet to make up their minds. A record 42 million Americans have already cast ballots ahead of the debate, meaning Trump’s window to influence the outcome of the race may be closing.
With files from Reuters
Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.