Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

B.C. kidnap victim bruised but okay Add to ...

Six men are in custody after a co-ordinated assault on a 14 residences in Nanaimo, B.C., and the Lower Mainland, which resulted in the safe return of a Vancouver man, who was abducted last week at gunpoint.

Vancouver police confirmed Wednesday that a slightly bruised Graham McMynn was "alive and well" and with his family after being held captive for more than a week.

"He is visibly shaken, but otherwise healthy," Vancouver Police Inspector Tom McCluskie said.

By late afternoon, Mr. McMynn was home with his family. He and his parents roared through an electric gate in front of their upscale house past a waiting throng of media and disappeared into the property's garage.

They did not speak to reporters, although a family member was expected to hold a news conference Thursday.

In addition to the six men already in custody with charges pending, police expected more arrests as the day continued. No contact or ransom demands were made to the McMynn family, and no ransom was paid for his return, police said.

Insp. McCluskie would not say what prompted the abduction, but said it had nothing to do with Graham McMynn.

"He was targeted."

When asked of a possible motive, Insp. McCluskie said there was a perception that McMynn family was wealthy, but he would not go further.

 "I don't want to speculate," he said.

After a brief visit to a hospital in Surrey, B.C., where Mr. McMynn was rescued, the 23-year old, who suffered only minor facial injuries in the ordeal, immediately went to thank the investigators for their work on the case.

"There was not a dry eye in the room," Deputy police chief Doug LePard said.

In one of the largest investigations of its kind, Vancouver police and RCMP had been keeping 14 locations in Vancouver, Surrey and Nanaimo under 24-hour surveillance for the past eight days.

Deputy chief LePard said the more than 100 officers involved in the raids were briefed early Wednesday morning.

"I told them, 'Today is the day we rescue Graham McMynn,'" he said.

Few details were immediately available on who the kidnappers were or the reason for the abduction, but police said Mr. McMynn did not know his abductors.

On April 4, Mr. McMynn, a University of British Columbia computer science student, had been driving with his girlfriend near the family's home in Vancouver's exclusive Southlands neighbourhood when he was blocked by two other cars and pulled from the vehicle at gunpoint.

His girlfriend was not abducted, but had her cell phone taken during the incident. The abduction was witnessed by a number of individuals in the area, police said, and a suspect vehicle was quickly determined and the owner identified.

In the days following the kidnapping, his parents released a pair of tearful videos. In the second, his father bypassed police and made a plea directly to his son's abductors by dropping a tape off at local radio and television stations. In it, he disputed reports that debts and mortgages had overwhelmed the family.

"Don't listen to the media, I have money," Robert McMynn, 58, said on the tape.

"How can I get Graham back unless you contact me? How can you get what you want unless you contact me? How can we make a deal if I'm the only one talking?"

Vancouver Police Chief Jamie Graham said the case had been the force's primary focus for the past week.

"Everything else was secondary," he said.

With files from Terry Weber and The Canadian Press

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular