The family of a young Toronto man fatally shot in an altercation with Toronto police has cancelled a news conference that had been scheduled for this afternoon.
In a statement to the media late Tuesday, Sammy Yatim`s family said they “do not have the energy right now to comment” and that they are “trying to heal and regain some sense of normalcy.“
Earlier Tuesday, Constable James Forcillo was charged with second-degree murder in Yatim’s death, then released on $510,000 bail.
Forcillo, 30, appeared in court after surrendering to authorities on an arrest warrant that was issued on Monday before after Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit pressed charges.
Yatim’s family said they were relieved by the charge, but hope the SIU will look into the actions of the supervising officers and other officers who were on scene.
Yatim was shot multiple times and Tasered on an empty streetcar last month. It was captured on surveillance and cellphone video on which nine shots can be heard following shouts for him to drop a knife.