Canadian diver Alex Despatie says he did suffer a concussion when he hit his head on the board while practising for a meet in Spain last week, but that the symptoms have subsided.
In an audio statement released by his spokespeople, the 27-year-old Despatie, a two-time Olympic medalist who hopes to make the three-metre springboard podium at the London 2012 Games, said he met with doctors on Tuesday morning and that his prognosis is excellent.
"They concluded I did suffer a small concussion, but it’s really going very well. This morning was the first morning I woke up without a headache, which is a very positive sign," he said.
The 10-centimetre gash on Despatie’s forehead - sustained when he hit the board while doing a reversed 3.5-somersault dive - is also healing well, and he expects to be able to resume training soon.
"I should be able to get back in the pool by the end of next week," he said. "If things keep going the way they are, the team is very optimistic, and so am I."
Despatie also thanked his many fans and well-wishers for their support, and vowed to start Tweeting again as soon as his doctors allow him to use his phone.