Automakers are responding to growing consumer demand for new SUVs. Over 600,000 units have been sold so far in 2018, up more than 7 per cent year-over-year. Not only are automakers launching new models such as the Mistubishi Eclipse Cross, Subaru Ascent and Nissan Kicks, they are also actively updating their existing models in order to remain competitive and keep up with ever-evolving technological and design trends. Many newly redesigned 2019 models are expected to roll onto dealership lots this fall, but there are still attractive incentives being offered on remaining 2018 inventory.
We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week on 2018 versions of SUVs that have been redesigned for the 2019 model year. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the new Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
Hyundai Santa Fe
Now entering its fourth generation, the Hyundai Santa Fe will soon no longer carry the “Sport” suffix, while the “XL” model – its seven-passenger variant – will be spun off into a new model altogether for the 2020 model year. The 2019 Santa Fe has been redesigned to feature Hyundai’s new cascading grille and a unique headlight configuration that first made its appearance on the subcompact Hyundai Kona earlier this year. Its interior is also expected to feature increased cabin space and a freestanding infotainment system.
Story continues below advertisement
In the meantime, the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is available with two engine variants depending on the trim – a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine that produces 185 horsepower and 178 lb.-ft. of torque, or a turbocharged 3.6-litre engine that produces an additional 55 horses and 82 lb.-ft. of torque. Highlights on the 2.0T SE trim include a five-inch infotainment system, dual-zone climate control, heated leather seats, automatic headlights, side-mirror-integrated LED turn signals, front windshield-wiper de-icer, blind-spot detection, lane-change assist and rear cross-traffic alert.
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SE 2.0T All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $37,299
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $6,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,045
- Cash purchase price before tax: $32,844
- Finance for 84 months at zero per cent interest for $496 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 60 months at 4.99 per cent interest for $649 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The Forester, Subaru’s bestselling model each year between 2013 and 2017, enters its fifth generation with the 2019 model. All new 2019 trims will come standard with Subaru’s EyeSight active safety technology, LED headlights and an electronic parking brake. However, its most impressive feature is available facial recognition to identify signs of fatigue or driver distraction.
In the meantime, the 2018 Subaru Forester features either a 2.5-litre Boxer engine that outputs 170 horsepower and 174 lb.-ft. of torque, or a 2.0-litre twin-scroll turbocharged Boxer engine that delivers an additional 80 horsepower and 84 lb.-ft. of torque. The 2.5i Touring trim features a 6.2-inch infotainment system, automatic dual-zone climate control, a panoramic sunroof and active safety technology such as pre-collision braking, adaptive cruise control, vehicle-start alert and lane-keep assist with lane-departure warning.
2018 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring withEyeSight CVT
- MSRP: $33,295
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,500 (as compared to $2,000 in July)
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,114
- Cash purchase price before tax: $32,409
- Finance for 60 months at 0.5 per cent interest for $667 per month including tax and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 0.5 per cent interest for $535 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The 2019 model of the Edge, Ford’s second-bestselling SUV, features a newly designed grille and exterior lighting. The 2019 Edge also comes standard with Ford Co-Pilot360, which includes automatic emergency braking, a blind-spot information system, lane-keeping assist and automatic high beams. Interior enhancements include a rotary dial gear selector and available wireless cellphone charging.
In the meantime, the 2018 Ford Edge comes standard with a 2.0-litre turbocharged EcoBoost engine that achieves an output of 245 horsepower and 275 lb.-ft. of torque. The SEL trim features an available eight-inch infotainment system, SiriusXM capability, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats with available leather seating surfaces, bi-functional, projector headlights and a reverse sensing system.
Story continues below advertisement
2018 Ford Edge SEL All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $38,299
- Ford Employee Pricing Adjustment: $3,183
- Delivery Allowance: $2,750 ($750 is applied after tax)
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,930
- Cash purchase price before tax: $37,229
- Finance for 72 months at 2.99 per cent interest for $596 per month including tax, which includes a $2,750 manufacturer incentive ($750 is applied after tax) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.49 per cent interest for $490 per month including tax, which includes a $2,750 manufacturer incentive ($750 is applied after tax) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
After more than a decade in production, the third-generation Wrangler JK will pass the torch to the fourth-generation Wrangler JL after a 2018 model year during which the two generations overlapped. True to its history, this transition reveals only very subtle differences in outward appearance. Under the surface, however, the Wrangler JL is lighter thanks to changes to the high-strength steel frame and a switch to aluminum for the doors, hood, tailgate and windshield. Perhaps the most exciting news for Wrangler enthusiasts is that it will now be easier than ever to remove and replace the doors and roof thanks to multiple simplifications to both processes.
In the meantime, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited is powered by a 3.6L Pentastar VVT V6 that generates 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. The Unlimited version includes four doors instead of two and adds 20 inches to the wheelbase, 1.6 inches of rear legroom and 19 cubic feet of cargo volume. The Command-Trac 4x4 system is perfectly suited for off-road driving with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio for navigating uneven terrain as well as front and rear anti-roll bars that include the option for removal at the push of a button.
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport
- MSRP: $37,095
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,250
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,250
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,935
- Cash purchase price before tax: $35,530
- Finance for 84 months at 4.79 per cent interest for $566 per month including tax, which includes a $2,250 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 60 months at 7.69 per cent interest for $489 per month including tax, which includes a $2,250 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.