Doug Ford is missing a golden opportunity. His Progressive Conservative government announced that it plans to replace Ontario’s “Yours To Discover” licence-plate slogan on commercial vehicles.
The PC campaign slogan “Open for Business” is a leading candidate.
The government also intends to change the slogan for passenger vehicles. Many voters were outraged by what seems like a petty and small-minded waste of money. Premier Ford was unapologetic, declaring to the legislature that the move would be announced in the April 11 budget, saying, "I can tell you that people across this province want change. They voted for change, and they're getting change."
Premier Ford, how can you be so blind? You’re supposed to be all about making money, and here’s a wonderful chance to rake in millions.
I’m talking about personalized licence-plate slogans. Drivers can already order personalized plates such as “XCUSSME” and “NOMRSNOW” – why not let them personalize the slogan for a fee?
You’ve already got “buck-a-beer.” How about “Fifty bucks a slogan?” Some to consider:
- Ontario: Where Developers Roam Free
- Ontario: So Much to Consider
- Ontario: “Friendly”
- Ontario: Buck-a-Beer. More for Tuition.
- Ontario: Yours for the Right Price
- Ontario: A Racist Past. A Prejudiced Future.
- Ontario: Together We Are Capable of Anything
- Ontario: Looking South. Feeling Smug.
- Ontario: Big Dreams. Small Minds.
- Ontario: Real Estate
- Ontario: Achieving the Centre
- Ontario: Friends Hiring Friends Hiring Their Friends’ Friends
- Ontario: If Luke’s Uncle Owen Were a Province
- Ontario: Quebec’s Uptight Middle Sister
- Ontario: I Have No Idea What My Neighbour’s Last Names Are
- Ontario: The Middle Province
- Ontario: Land of Regulation
- Ontario: Anywhere But Here
- Ontario: Live Free or Do What You Are Told
- Ontario: Crossing the Street to Avoid Saying Hello to an Acquaintance
- Ontario: Are There No Work Houses?
- Ontario: Caring, Up To A Point
- Ontario: Voting Left. Living Right.
- Ontario: No Spring
These are just starting points. There are as many personalized slogans as there are Ontarians.
Premier Ford, it is not too late for you and your government to change course and implement my groundbreaking concept. All I ask is a two-four of one-dollar beer, to have a street named after me and to be made chief commissioner of the OPP.
Ontario: Think About It.
Stay on top of all our Drive stories. We have a Drive newsletter covering car reviews, innovative new cars and the ups and downs of everyday driving. Sign up for the weekly Drive newsletter, delivered to your inbox for free. Follow us on Instagram, @globedrive.