Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Another Canadian reported to have been killed while fighting in Syria

Smoke rises from buildings after what activists said was shelling from forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad in the besieged area of Homs January 15, 2014.

STRINGER/REUTERS

A Canadian man was reportedly killed last August while taking part in the conflict in Syria.

According to CBC News, Andre Poulin of Timmins, Ont., had changed his name to Abu Muslim and arrived in Syria in late 2012.

The report says he died during an attack carried out by jihadis on a government-controlled airport in the country's north.

Story continues below advertisement

The network says the young man's body was found and buried by other jihadis and that he left behind a wife and young child in Syria.

Earlier this week, Mustafa al-Gharib, a 22-year-old born in Nova Scotia as Damian Clairmont, reportedly died in heavy fighting in the city of Aleppo.

He was apparently killed by Free Syrian Army forces as fighters opposed to the regime of President Bashar al-Assad turned on each other in bloody infighting.

During a visit to Washington, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said his officials were aware of the reports of al-Gharib's death, and suggested he may be just one among many Canadians fighting overseas.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.