Skip to main content
Complete Olympic Games coverage at your fingertips
Your inside track on the Olympic Games
Enjoy unlimited digital access
per week for 24 weeks
Complete Olympic Games coverage at your fingertips
Your inside track onthe Olympics Games
per week
for 24 weeks
// //

The casket of Teresa Robinson sits in a Winnipeg church during her wake on May 25, 2015.

LYLE STAFFORD/The Globe and Mail

A teen who willingly gave a DNA sample to police investigating the death of a girl in a remote Manitoba First Nation community has admitted he killed her while sexually assaulting her.

The boy, who is now 17, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in Court of Queen's Bench on Thursday. He cannot be identified under Canada's youth justice laws.

Teresa Robinson was 11 when she disappeared after leaving a birthday party in Garden Hill on the night of May 5, 2015. She wasn't reported missing to RCMP until six days later.

Story continues below advertisement

That same day, searchers found her lower torso in a wooded area and her skull about nine metres away, according to a brief statement of facts presented in court by Crown attorney Chris Vanderhooft.

It was initially believed she had been killed by a bear.

Injuries uncovered during an autopsy, however, led police to collect a DNA sample.

That set off what Vanderhooft described as a "lengthy and protracted" homicide investigation in the community of about 2,500 people, about 500 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

In their efforts to find Teresa's killer, RCMP collected hundreds of voluntary DNA samples from community members.

"It was in the course of that sweep that (they) took a consent sample from the accused," said Vanderhooft.

The sample matched the DNA taken from the girl's body and led to the teen's arrest in March 2016. Another DNA sample was taken by police and also matched, Justice Chris Martin was told.

Story continues below advertisement

Crown and defence lawyers said they will recommend the teen be sentenced as a youth when court reconvenes Feb. 5. They will also recommend the maximum youth sentence of 10 years – six years in custody followed by four under conditional supervision in the community.

They want the teen to get two years of credit for time served in remand.

The full facts of the investigation and information about the teen's background are to be presented at the February hearing.

Outside court, Teresa's mother said the boy's guilty plea would bring her some closure.

"All he kept saying was that he didn't .... do that, he wouldn't do that," Sandra Robinson said.

She said she hasn't yet turned her mind to what she wants to tell her daughter's killer when given a chance.

Story continues below advertisement

"I haven't even thought about that," she said.

Teresa was very well-liked in her community, Robinson said.

"She used to make people laugh She was outgoing, fun to be around. Everybody liked her. Everybody loved her.

"She was a little girl. She was my baby."

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies