Skip to main content

Fire that killed four seniors at Toronto public housing complex was arson: officials

A fire that killed four people at a seniors' public housing complex in Toronto last year was arson, officials have concluded.

The blaze began in leather chairs at the intersection of two hallways on the fifth floor of the building in Scarborough on Feb. 5. Another dozen people, many of whom had mobility problems and were trapped in their rooms, were taken to hospital.

"Through the investigative process, we have determined it was deliberately set," said Jeff Tebby, fire investigation co-ordinator for the Ontario Fire Marshal. "The chairs on the fifth floor were ignited. They were the fuel on the fire."

Story continues below advertisement

In a statement, Toronto Community Housing, which owns the 126-unit building, said it was "shocked and deeply saddened" to learn the fire was deliberately set. The agency said it is co-operating with the investigation.

Nanthivarman Kamal, a 36-year-old resident of the building, was flabbergasted when a Globe and Mail reporter informed him the fire was deliberately started.

"That's terrifying," he said. "How come someone would do such a thing to a seniors' building? They can't even walk fast. Most people here are living immobile."

Mr. Kamal lives with and helps take care of his mother who is in her 70s and was there the day the fire broke out. He said he swiftly left the building and returned home the same evening.

Residents routinely ignore fire alarms because they are set off so often, he said, using the example of people forgetting about meals they were cooking.

"People get used to it and don't leave. They don't take it seriously."

Jean Fairney, 86, has lived in the building since it first opened in 1991. She did not leave her room when the fire swept through because she was repeatedly instructed not to by building staff, she said.

Story continues below advertisement

"I came in after shopping about 15 minutes before the alarm went off and they just said 'Stay in your apartment, do not go out into the hallways.' I have a big window, so I thought, 'If it gets this far, I'll just haul out the window.' "

The fire started in the hallway of her former apartment. She has since moved to another floor, she said.

"That scared me. Who would do something like that? It's scary. It was scary that day."

Toronto Fire Services previously charged Toronto Community Housing with three violations of the provincial fire code, including permitting the combustible chairs to be placed in an exit route. The social housing provider also faces a charge of failing to train supervisory staff in fire emergency procedures and failing to implement the building's approved fire safety plan. The charges are before the courts.

Toronto Police are investigating the blaze. Spokesman Mark Pugash said no information was available on a possible suspect.

Residents who were living in the area of the building where fire occurred were displaced for four to five weeks, said Lisa Murray, a TCH spokesperson.

Story continues below advertisement

TCH is contesting all charges, she said.

"There's a large alcove and that's where the chairs were. And, in fact, the chairs had been there since the building was built and we never heard anything about not having them there. If we did, we would have removed them."

The four who died were found by firefighters on the fifth floor of the Neilson Road building, which was quickly engulfed in thick smoke. Authorities have not released their identities, but family members have previously identified three of them as married couple Hyacinth and Charles Roberts and Azeema Khan-Safraj, 86.

The housing complex caters to low-income seniors aged 59 and older.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter