Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Canadians describe chaotic scenes in Boston

Medical workers aid an injured woman at the scene of a bomb blast near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. Two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing at least two people and injuring at scores of others.

Charles Krupa/AP

Canadians in Boston Monday described shocking scenes in the wake of the twin explosions near the finish line.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Canadian runner Robin Watson finished 11th in the men's race. He described the scene of the explosion to the Globe's Laura Hubbard "It sounded like thunder, but it was a calm, clear day. I thought that was odd to hear, but then we heard another loud one," he said. "I knew it was louder than a car crash and it was something significant. I just didn't know what."

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Watson said marathon staff and hotel personnel were very accommodating, and moved the athletes and their families upstairs to account for everyone. He said everyone was checking their phones and Twitter – before cellphone service in the city was shut down – and there were almost immediate reports of what had happened.

Ottawa resident Guy Doucet was waiting for his wife to cross the finish line when he heard the first explosion and saw a plume of white smoke before being rocked by a second explosion about a few seconds later.

"People started running in the opposite direction, I just followed," he said. "My main worry was seeing if my wife was OK...the last runner told my wife that she finished 38 sec after the bombs went off."

Corinne Gable of Kelowna, B.C., told CKFR she had just finished the race when she heard a loud boom down the street near the finish line.

"We heard this big bang and we turned our heads and we saw this big puff of smoke and then like 10 seconds later there was another one and everybody just kind of stopped in their shoes and just kind of looked at each other in panic," she said.

"The first thing that went through my head was the Trade Centers, another, you know, terrorist attack."

With reports from Canadian Press

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error Editorial code of conduct Licensing Options
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to