Skip to main content

Before 1965: The old-time typeface and full Hudson's Bay Company name signified the identity of Canada's oldest company.

1 of 3

1965-2013: The Bay’s stylized B was an attempt at a more modern, “folk-friendly” look, and made official the shorter nickname Canadians already had for the stores. It was designed by Lippincott & Margulies, and based on a calligraphed B that appeared in the headline of the original HBC charter from 1670. It read: "Charles the Second By the Grace of God."

2 of 3

2013 : The name returns to full-form Hudson’s Bay, with an all-caps, simpler typeface, accompanied by the coat of arms. The design was developed by New York-based agency Lipman. The coat of arms was redrawn by Canadian artist Mark Summers, but elements remain the same, including two moose holding up the shield with the cross of St. George and four beavers topped with a fox sitting on a cap. It also includes the original Latin motto that was dropped in the crest redesign of 2002, “pro pelle cutem” – “skin for skin,” or “[animal] skins obtained at the cost of [human] skin"

3 of 3