Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

Two years after he says he was hit in the head during a university football game, Kevin Kwasny is still working to regain his mobility and is suing over a decision to send him back onto the field.

The former defensive end alleges in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit that team coaches for Bishop's University in Quebec kept him in the game when he was already dizzy from a hit.

"He complained about his head being sore and that he got hit very hard ... and they just told him to get back in there a couple of plays later and keep on going," Kwasny's father, Greg, said Tuesday.

Story continues below advertisement

Kevin Kwasny, who is now 23, was taken to hospital during halftime in a Canadian Interuniversity Sport football game between the Bishop's University Gaiters and the Concordia Stingers on Sept. 10, 2011. He had suffered bleeding on the brain and was in critical condition.

Two years later, he is still undergoing therapy. He lives in a rehabilitation centre in Selkirk, north of his family's home in Winnipeg, and is working to regain his mobility and strength.

"He lost his whole right side, as if someone drew a line down him," his father said.

"He's got some of it back — his fingers and his arms moving — and his leg is a little bit moving but not fully."

According to Kwasny's statement of claim, Bishop's has not paid for extensive medical costs. Family friends, Bishop's alumni and others have donated money and offered support, Greg Kwasny said.

The university has told the Kwasnys it is a matter for their own health insurance, he said.

Kevin Kwasny is asking Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench for damages and legal expenses.

Story continues below advertisement

The allegations in the statement of claim have not been proven in court.

The media relations officer at Bishop's did not return phone calls Tuesday for comment.

Bishop's has not filed a statement of defence and no court date has been set to hear the lawsuit.

Kwasny's lawsuit alleges he sustained a hit to the head during the first half of the game, left the field and told his coaches he was dizzy, had blurred vision and felt like he had had "his bell rung." Shortly afterward, the lawsuit claims, he was told to get back on the field and was hit again.

Coaches and trainers "failed to assess Kevin's symptoms for signs and/or symptoms of a concussion or head injury as required or at all," the statement of claim alleges.

By halftime, Kwasny had deteriorated and was brought to hospital in critical condition.

Story continues below advertisement

Two days later, Gaiters spokesman John Edwards said Kwasny had shown no signs of injury and game films did not show any hit or play that might have caused an injury.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies