Skip to main content

Former Calgary Stampeders player Joffrey Reynolds leaves court with his lawyer Randi CollinsJeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press

Calgary police say they have arrested former Canadian Football League all-star Joffrey Reynolds.

Reynolds, who is 33, was being sought on four counts of breaching his probation for allegedly breaking his curfew while under house arrest.

The former running back was recently sentenced to 90 days in jail for assaulting his one-time girlfriend. He was found guilty earlier this year of assault causing bodily harm, common assault and unlawfully being in a dwelling.

Court was told he tried to choke and smother his former girlfriend when she came home and found him in her bed in July 2012.

He was to serve his time on weekends and faced two years of probation once he completed his sentence.

On their Facebook page, police say Reynolds was arrested in downtown Calgary without incident.

Court was told Reynolds tried to choke and smother his former girlfriend when she came home and found him in her bed in July 2012.

At his sentencing, Crown prosecutor Hyatt Mograbee had asked that Reynolds be given two to three years in prison.

Reynolds's defence lawyer told court that his client had already lost his reputation and career and shouldn't have to spend time behind bars.

"He stands before you today contrite, respectful of this court and remorseful for what happened," said Bjorn Harsanji.

"This was a person who was an MVP a few years ago and then he was released. He has lost a lot. His public reputation is gone. I think the message is out. There's a general deterrence that no one is above the law."

Reynolds is from Texas and played college football at the University of Houston. He played eight years for the Calgary Stampeders and was the team's all-time leading rusher with 9,213 yards.

He was named a CFL all-star four times and won a Grey Cup championship with the Stampeders in 2008 before his release in 2012.

Since his conviction, he has been working on a construction site.

Kaitlin Ward, 27, had dated Reynolds for six years before ending their relationship in December 2011 upon discovering he had been cheating on her.

Ward testified at the trial that she and Reynolds were trying to determine if they could "salvage" their relationship when she allowed him to stay with her for a couple of days after his house went into foreclosure.

Ward testified she told Reynolds at a party that he had to get out. She said Reynolds got angry and kicked her in the back of the leg and was waiting for her later when she got home.

"I was shocked," she said. "I went by the front door to shoo him out. That's when he kind of tackled me."

Ward said Reynolds was sitting on top of her.

"He's smothering my mouth and choking me. Shoving his chin into my neck," she said. "I was gasping for air at that point."

Justice Brian Stevenson imposed strict curfews on Reynolds, told him he cannot drink alcohol and ordered him to undergo counselling if required.

He also ordered Reynolds to write a letter of apology to Ward and to donate $5,000 to the Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter.

This content appears as provided to The Globe by the originating wire service. It has not been edited by Globe staff.

Report an error