Skip to main content

World Final U.S. diplomats leave Venezuela as rift between Maduro and Washington widens

The U.S. embassy building in Caracas is seen on March 14, 2019. The last remaining members of the U.S. mission to Venezuela left the country Thursday.

IVAN ALVARADO/Reuters

The last remaining U.S. diplomats in Venezuela left the country on Thursday, amid deteriorating ties between Washington and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

“I know it is a difficult moment for them,” U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said of the departing diplomats. He said they would continue to carry on their “mission from other locations, where they will continue to help manage the flow of humanitarian assistance to the Venezuelan people.”

He said the U.S. remains committed to supporting opposition leader Juan Guaido, who has declared himself interim president and is trying to oust Mr. Maduro and hold what he says would be free and fair elections. “We look forward to resuming our presence once the transition to democracy begins,” Mr. Pompeo said in a statement.

Story continues below advertisement

A convoy was seen leaving the U.S. Embassy in Caracas on Thursday morning, and the U.S. flag was no longer flying outside the embassy. The diplomats left the country on a chartered civilian aircraft.

James Story, who was the top-ranking U.S. diplomat in Venezuela, said in a video message that most Venezuelans don’t support Mr. Maduro and that the government had used “the threat of armed gangs” against its people.

“How can they talk about democracy when they systematically violate the constitution, disable political parties, imprison opposition leaders and persecute anyone who dares to raise their voice in opposition?” Mr. Story said.

Earlier this week, Mr. Maduro praised Mr. Story for his professional conduct. However, the Venezuelan government had described the remaining American diplomats as a threat to the country’s peace and stability.

Meanwhile, businesses reopened and public transportation resumed in parts of Venezuela where power has been restored, ending nearly a week of the country’s worst blackouts. Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said schools will reopen on Monday. The government says the national power grid is functioning well and that running water has returned to most of the country, though some areas reported continuing problems.

Some neighbourhoods in the northwestern city of Maracaibo, where massive looting occurred during the outages, still didn’t have power. The subway began operating in the capital, Caracas, though not all of its stations were open.

Mr. Maduro blamed the blackouts on alleged sabotage engineered by the U.S. and the Venezuelan opposition. U.S. officials and Mr. Guaido said the allegation is absurd and that government corruption and mismanagement caused the infrastructure collapse in a country already suffering hyperinflation and shortages of basic goods.

Mr. Pompeo tweeted earlier in the week that the U.S. diplomats were being withdrawn because their continued presence in Caracas had become a “constraint” on U.S. policy. He did not clarify what he meant by that remark.

The Venezuelan government disputed Mr. Pompeo’s account, saying it had instructed the U.S. diplomats to leave.

Mr. Maduro accuses Mr. Guaido and the United States of plotting an invasion. The United States has imposed sanctions on Venezuela’s oil industry as well as individuals linked to Mr. Maduro’s government, and U.S. President Donald Trump has said “all options are on the table” in his administration’s support for Mr. Guaido.

Also Thursday, Russia’s Gazprombank said it was pulling out of a joint venture with PDVSA, Venezuela’s state oil company, Russian state media reported. Russia is an ally of Mr. Maduro, but its oil interests in Venezuela have been jeopardized since the Trump administration hit PDVSA with sanctions in January.

More than 600 visas have been revoked since late 2018 as part of U.S. efforts to pressure Mr. Maduro’s government, State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said. Since Monday, the U.S. has revoked 340 visas, 107 of which were for Venezuelan diplomats and their families, according to Mr. Palladino.

Mr. Maduro’s government in January cut ties with the U.S. over its recognition of Mr. Guaido as Venezuela’s rightful leader, a stand taken by about 50 other countries that contend Mr. Maduro’s re-election last year was rigged and that he has no legitimacy. Venezuela later allowed a skeletal staff to remain at the hilltop U.S. Embassy until Thursday’s withdrawal.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter